On Tuesday my Esther had surgery to remove a stone from her bladder. We had to take her to the vet between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and leave her there. We arrived ten minutes before eight and waited for them to unlock the door. Esther whimpered and shook all the way there, and when we got inside, she tucked her tail between her legs and shook. She knew she was in a place she didn’t want to be. We kissed her and hugged her goodbye and as the technician tried to walk her back, she pulled towards us. I swallowed a tear as we left.

At home I took a nap and dreamt about Esther having surgery. I dreamt that they called and said they couldn’t save her. Lou woke me up at 1:00 p.m. and I called the vet. Esther had just gotten out of surgery and everything went well. They instructed us to pick her up at 3:00 p.m.

She was groggy when we brought her home. I put her on the couch and covered her up with a blanket. She slept and only lifted her head a couple times to look at me.

Not too long after we got Esther, I had a detached tendon repaired in my ankle. Soon as I got home from the hospital, she was at my side lying next to me on the couch. She’s stayed at my side during a mastectomy, hysterectomy, and carpal tunnel surgery. With each surgery she watched over me, comforted me, and smothered me with love.

Esther is always taking care of me. She snuggles with me when I’m sad, she lays her head on my chest and nudges my hand with her nose when I cry, she keeps me from getting lonely when I’m by myself, and she always knows when I need extra love. She is my therapy. She gives me the comfort I need as I deal with mental illness. She’s the child I can’t have, and I owe her for all that she has done for me. Taking care of her during her recovery is the least I can do for her.

The vet technician said not to let her run or jump. I worried about her doing all the steps in our home, too so I carried her around like a baby for several days. Up and down stairs and I lifted her on and off the couch. On Friday the vet called to tell me that Esther’s stone resulted an infection. They also told me she was able to do steps. I was glad. Carrying a thirteen-pound dog around made my shoulders and back hurt, but I would have kept doing it if I had to.

Keeping a seven-year-old dog from jumping has been a challenge. I turn around for one minute and she jumps off the couch. When my husband goes to work in the morning I have him put Esther in bed with me, but she won’t stay. She knows she’s not allowed in the bed while he’s home. I put her down and she goes to her bed. I fall back to sleep and when I wake up, she’s back in bed with me. She waits until my husband is gone and then jumps up onto the bed. Each time she jumps I check her stitches to make sure she hasn’t broken any open.

When she must go potty, I put a leash on her to walk her around the yard, so she won’t run. She thinks she should go for a walk and pulls towards the gate to our fenced in yard. I have to walk her several times around the yard until she decides to go. Sometimes she tries to stand on her back legs and put her front paws on my leg. I try to instruct her to stay down.

Taking care of her after her surgery is the least I can do after all the times she has taken care of me through my surgeries. I’m not sure if she knows how much she has helped me and continues to help me. She’s more than a dog to me and I would do anything to keep her well. She fills my heart with love and light. She makes my days brighter.

The good news is she is healing well and is no longer peeing blood. She doesn’t need to go out as often, she has less accidents, and she no longer strains to pee. Knowing she is feeling better makes me feel good. On April 20, we must take her back to the vet to check her incision and her urine. If the infection is completely gone, we can take her off the prescription food and put her on Purina. The prescription food costs a hundred dollars. Purina will be much cheaper.

2 thoughts on “ESTHER’S RECOVERY

    • Murisopsis,
      Thank you. She’s a handful. She doesn’t understand why she can’t run or jump. She’s doing good though.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s